Benefits of Private Lessons
For students involved in their school music program, private lessons provide an opportunity for extra individual attention not always possible in large group classes. Students are always welcome to bring in music they are working on at school if they would like my help.
Parents find that music lessons not only improve their children’s reading and fine motor skills, but strongly contribute to the building of their child’s self-confidence. This in turn helps children succeed not only in music, but in school and other outside activities.
Students and their parents find it truly rewarding when a child reaches a pre-set goal or milestone; whether that is learning a new song, performing in front of others or just finding enjoyment in music.
Books and Supplies
Your student may need 3-4 music books ($8-$25 ea.) per year, depending on their progress.
Having a CD player in the student’s home practice area can be helpful. Many books like Essential Elements come with a play along CD, which I encourage students to use as they practice.
While most students are initially excited to begin music lessons, please be aware that they will face challenges and sometimes frustrations. Your encouragement and praise will be essential to your child’s success.
Parents can help by doing the following:
• Set aside a scheduled practice time for your child.
• Bring your child to their lesson on time
• Provide me with feedback about your student’s practicing
• Practice regularly throughout the week
• Bring necessary books and equipment (reeds, neckstrap, etc.)
Students who establish good practice habits from the beginning will progress more rapidly and find playing more enjoyable. The amount of time required for good quality practice will vary depending on the student’s age and playing level.
Here are some general guidelines:
• Beginners should practice 20-30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
• Intermediate students should practice 30-45 minutes a day, 6 days a week.
• More importantly, however, is that students practice to achieve their weekly goals.
Fees/Missed Lessons/Make-Up Lessons
Click here for information about these subjects.